The Treasury department manages the financial affairs of Council to ensure the optimum use of all Council assets. In essence, it is the protector and custodian of the public purse as it levies taxes and charges on the public, collects the taxes and charges from the public, and administers the expenditure of those taxes and charges on goods, services and assets on behalf of the public.
The responsibility of the post of the CFO is to strategically direct and manage the provision of financial management support services to the Municipality including:
- Being administratively in charge of the Budget and Treasury Directorate of the institution.
- Assisting the accounting officer to carry out his or her financial management responsibilities (in line with delegations), in areas ranging from budget preparation to financial reporting and the development and maintenance of internal control policies and procedures.
- Implementing relevant financial reforms at the direction of the accounting officer, with the assistance of appropriately skilled finance staff.
- Undertaking specific responsibilities as a member of the top management team.
- Leading and managing the planning processes for the Treasury
- Providing direction and contributing to the development and review of credible plans, including the Integrated Development Plan (IDP) and Service Delivery and Budget Implementation Plan (SDBIP).
- Managing the alignment of strategies and goals within area of responsibility.
- Assessing and monitoring the impact of financial and non-financial changes on plans, including national and provincial policy statement changes
- Managing the implementation of service delivery plans within the legislative and regulatory framework pertaining to the area of responsibility