Senekal was established on 7 June 1877 on the farm De Puk in the district of Winburg. It is the panoramic Eastern Free State on the main route between Bloemfontein and in the heart of a flourishing and progressive agricultural district. The first sales of the plots started on 25 May 1875 and were a huge success. Thirty plots were sold for R4 600.
Situated in the scenic panorama of the Eastern Free State, along the Maloti Route, Ficksburg nestles between the foot of the Imperani Mountain and the banks of the Cale- don River, the border with Lesotho. As a backdrop there are magnificent views of the majestic Malotis , which change with the seasons, from the purple haze of summer to the snow-clad slopes in winter. Ficksburg was founded on 12 June 1867 and named after General Jan Fick, Commander-General of the old Orange Free State Republic.
Clocolan was established in 1906 on the farms of Reinzi and Herold because of a general need for school, church and business facilities to provide services to the surrounding areas. Clocolan obtained municipal status on 18 July 1910.The name Clocolan is derived from the South Sotho word Hlohlolwane meaning stand up and fight, which refers to an altercation between two black tribes, which took place many years ago.
The town of Marquard was established on the farm Varschfontein, which means ‘Fresh Fountain’, in 1905 when the first of 125 plots were sold at record prices for that time. Ds J J T Marquard, after whom the town is named, was married to a daughter of John Murray, a son of the legendary missionary, Andrew Murray, and he (Marquard) campaigned fiercely for the establishment of the new town.